2018 Iditarod Race Start and Checkpoints Tour Package. This tour is designed to let you experience all of the excitement of the race start, plus visit with the mushers at checkpoints along the race trail and experience the lifestyles and cultures of these remote villages. We start this tour with an incredible 7 hour trip to Iditarod Champion Dallas Seavey's kennel. Here you will tour the kennel, learn about dog mushing and take a dog sled ride! At the Iditarod Race Banquet you will mingle with the mushers, have photo ops with them and the opportunity to wish them well. Clients have the option to go through the dog handler certification that allows them to help bring the sled dogs up to the starting line at the Race start. How exciting is that for Iditarod fans! Optional activities at Alyeska include dog sled rides, snowmobiling, helicopter rides and of course skiing.
Once we leave Anchorage and fly over the spectacular Alaska Range to the village of McGrath, we will be in an area steeped in Alaskan mining history and Athabaskan Indian culture. In McGrath we will visit the remnants of Old Town McGrath, the jumping off point for miners headed to the gold rush in Iditarod, Cripple and Ophir. We will visit the McGrath Museum and the Fish and Wildlife office to meet local experts on the history of the area. We will also fly to Nikolai and Takotna, traditional Athabaskan Indian villages. You will find this tour to be richly rewarding in both the interaction you will have with the Iditarod racers and the local residents.
11 Day Iditarod Race Start and Checkpoints Tour Package Highlights
- Attending the Iditarod Race Starts in Anchorage and Willow.
- 7 hour tour to Iditarod Champion Dallas Seavey's kennel
- Visit to the Anchorage Museum of History and Art
- Sightseeing excursion to the Alaska Wildlife Center and beautiful Alyeska ski resort.
- Attend the Musher's Banquet
- Opportunity to be an Iditarod team dog handler with VIP privileges.
- Attend the annual Miners and Trappers Ball.
- Visit to the Iditarod Museum
- Scenic flight over the Alaska Range and Rainy Pass.
- Sightseeing excursion along the Iditarod trail.
- Visit to the Athabaskan village of Nikolai.
- Visit to the Takotna checkpoint in the historic Iditarod Mining District.
- Optional Dog Mushing, snowmobiling and flight seeing activities.
- Opportunity to be a volunteer checker at the McGrath checkpoint
Cost and Details
February 27 - March 9, 2018. $5500 pp. shared accommodation, single supplement $700 - $1500 depending on availability.
- 6 Nights Accommodation in Anchorage
- 4 Nights Accommodation in McGrath
- Admission tickets
- Lunches and dinners in Anchorage as indicated on itinerary
- Continental breakfast and all lunches and dinners in McGrath
|Tour to Dallas Seavey's kennel and dog sled ride
Transportation to Willow Restart, Alyeska and Iditarod Museum
Flights between Anchorage and McGrath
Flights between McGrath and Nikolai\
Flights between McGrath and Takotna